Friday, January 2, 2009
Frazer Nash Le Mans Replica, originally uploaded by dovecotes.
Frazer Nash was a British automobile manufacturer and engineering company founded by Archibald Frazer-Nash in 1922. The company was founded in 1922 by Archibald Frazer-Nash who had, with Henry Ronald Godfrey founded and run the GN Cyclecar Company.
The company produced around 400 cars until the mid-1930s, notably a series of famous chain drive models.
They became importers and assemblers of BMW cars in 1934 and sold them as Frazer Nash-BMW. They were the official British BMW importer until the outbreak of war in 1939. In 1954 the company started to sell Porsche cars, becoming the official importer for Great Britain in 1956. This lasted until 1965 when Porsche Cars Great Britain was set up.
Eighty-five more cars were produced from 1948 to 1957. These cars were largely a direct evolution of the sporting BMW 328. In the choice of Bristol engines the cars were natural successors to the imported BMWs, the Bristol engine being a development of that of the BMW 328. Models include the Le Mans Replica, the Mille Miglia, the Targa Florio, the Le Mans Coupé and the Sebring. Competition successes included a third place at Le Mans (1949) and a win in the Targa Florio (1951). These post-war cars are very highly prized by collectors. The company participated in the 1952 Formula One season, the cars driven by Tony Crook and Ken Wharton.
Posted by James William at 4:34 PM
1938 BMW 328 Roadster , originally uploaded by TAKESHI Collection.
The BMW 328 is a sports car made by BMW between 1936 and 1940, designed by Fritz Fiedler. It featured a tubular space frame and a hemispherical combustion chamber engine. It was much praised at the time for its performance and handling, proving to be suitable not only for the BMW factory drivers, but also perfect for everyday driving.
The car won many races, including the prestigious Mille Miglia — a class win in 1938 and the outright winner (with a streamlined body) in 1940. It also won the RAC Rally in 1939 and came in fifth overall (first in its class) in the 1939 Le Mans 24 hours.
The engine has hemispherical or cross flow combustion chambers. The intake valves are opened by the usual overhead valve push rod arrangement of a side cam, push rods, and rocker arms. The exhaust valves, on the other side of the cylinder head, are opened by the same cam shaft, vertical push rods, rocker arms, horizontal push rods, and a second set of rocker arms.
In 1999 the BMW 328 was named one of 25 finalists for Car of the Century by a worldwide panel of automotive journalists.
Posted by James William at 4:12 PM
Monday, December 15, 2008
Ferrari Dino 206S, originally uploaded by martinswelt.
Dino was a brand for mid-engined, rear-drive sports cars produced by Ferrari from 1968 to 1976. The Dino brand was meant to be used for cars with engines that had fewer than 12 cylinders, reserving the Ferrari name for the V-12 and flat 12 models. The Dino name was retired after that point, in favour of conventional Ferrari branding. The Dino brand was an attempt by Ferrari to produce a relatively low cost sports car by using components from other vehicles.
The Dino models used Ferrari racing naming designation of displacement and cylinder count with two digits for the size of the engine in deciliters and the third digit to represent the number of cylinders, i.e., 246 being a 2.4 liter 6 cylinder and 308 being a 3.0 liter 8 cylinder.
The Dino 246 was the first Ferrari model produced in high numbers. It is lauded by many for its intrinsic driving qualities and groundbreaking design. In 2004, Sports Car International placed the car at number six on its list of Top Sports Cars of the 1970s. Motor Trend Classic placed the 206/246 at number seven in their list of the 10 "Greatest Ferraris of all time".
Posted by James William at 8:54 AM
Aston Martin DB4 GT Zagato, originally uploaded by Jojo Cence.
The Aston Martin DB4 GT Zagato was introduced in 1960 at the London Motor Show. It was effectively a DB4 GT improved by the Zagato factory in Italy, by Ercole Spada. The Zagato's engine produced 314 hp, a 0 to 60 mph acceleration of just 6.1 seconds and a top speed of 154 mph (246 km/h). Initially the factory had plans to produce 25 cars, but demand wasn't as strong as expected and production ceased at the 24th unit. Nowadays the car sells for over £3,500,000.
The DB4 GT Zagato was raced in the 1962 24 Hours of Le Mans race by such famous names as Roy Salvadori and Jim Clark.
In 1991, 4 unutilised chassis numbers were put to use. With the approval of Aston Martin, four DB4 chassis were appropriately uprated to GT specifications. The chassis were then sent to Zagato's Milan workshop to be bodied. To familiarize the workforce with construction techniques of the 60's, an original DB4 GT Zagato was sent along to be dismantled. These cars were known as the Sanction II cars. They were outwardly identical, but several changes were effected in the interest of better handling. Each of these cars sold for over $1,000,000.
Posted by James William at 8:00 AM
Sunday, December 14, 2008
Jaguar E-Type (1 of 2), originally uploaded by _DaveAdams.
The Jaguar E-Type (UK) or XK-E (US) is a British automobile, manufactured by Jaguar between 1961 and 1974. Its combination of good looks, high performance, and competitive pricing resulted in a great success for Jaguar, with more than 70,000 E-Types being sold over its lifespan. It is often referred to as the E-Type Jag, and has subsequently become an icon of 1960s motoring. In March 2008, the Jaguar E-Type ranked first in Daily Telegraph list of the "100 most beautiful cars" of all time. In 2004, Sports Car International magazine placed the E-Type at number one on their list of Top Sports Cars of the 1960s.
Posted by James William at 1:02 AM
Detomaso Pantera, originally uploaded by Martin Vincent.
The Pantera was a sports car produced by the de Tomaso car company of Italy from 1971 through 1991, the last one delivered to a customer in 1992. The word "Pantera" is Italian for "Panther". The car was designed by Tom Tjaarda and replaced the de Tomaso Mangusta. Unlike the Mangusta, which employed a steel backbone chassis, the Pantera was a steel monocoque design, the first instance of de Tomaso using this construction technique.
The first 1971 Panteras were powered by a Ford 351 in³ (5.8 L) V8 which produced 330 horsepower. The ZF transaxle used in the Mangusta and was used for the Pantera. Another Italian exotic that shares the ZF transaxle is the Maserati Bora. Power-assisted four-wheel disc brakes and rack and pinion steering were standard equipment. The 1971 Pantera could accelerate to 60 mph (97 km/h) in 5.5 seconds according to Car and Driver.
Posted by James William at 12:48 AM
Saturday, December 13, 2008
Silverstone Historic 1999 Ferrari 250 GTO 3387GT, originally uploaded by jccphotos.
The 250 GTO was designed to compete in GT racing. It was based on the 250 GT SWB. Chief engineer Giotto Bizzarrini installed the 3.0 L V12 engine from the 250 Testa Rossa into the chassis from the 250 GT SWB and worked with designer Sergio Scaglietti to develop the body. After Bizzarrini and most other Ferrari engineers were fired in a dispute with Enzo Ferrari, development was handed over to new engineer Mauro Forghieri, who worked with Scaglietti to continue development of the body, including wind tunnel and track testing. Unlike most Ferraris, it was not designed by a specific individual or design house.
The rest of the car was typical of early-1960s Ferrari technology: hand-welded tube frame, A-arm front suspension, live-axle rear end, disc brakes, and Borrani wire wheels. The five-speed gearbox was new to Ferrari GT racing cars; the metal gate that defined the shift pattern would become a tradition that is still maintained in current models. The interior was extremely basic, to the point where a speedometer was not installed in the instrument panel. Many of its switches came from the Fiat 500, and it was said that as the car was rushed into production, the original cloth seats were made from workers' overalls.
Posted by James William at 11:17 PM